Monday, April 22, 2013

Out of my comfort zone.

I really do not like needles. I nearly pass out after getting a finger prick or a flu shot. The Red Cross comes to our school frequently to do blood drives but for the past 3 years, I had sweetly responded with, "I would love to but I can't. I would probably faint." But I decided last week that it was high time to get over my fear and just try it....so I signed up to give blood! I figured the worst thing that would happen is that I would actually faint. But my hope was that I would be successful and be able to continue this for years to come.

I had survived the finger prick, been called back to a seat, and the betadine was drying on my arm when I had the strongest urge to run before they could poke me with anything.

My sweet  husband sat next to me, held my hand, and distracted me as the room got warmer and started to spin. I made it through without fainting, ate lots of cookies, and went on with my day.

Yes, I was proud of myself. Yes, my heart was warmed by seeing my husband dote on me and encourage me to be brave and do it.

I apologize if this post is stretching a spiritual parallel too far. But I think there is significance beyond this personal achievement. How many times everyday do we choose what is comfortable to us? How many times do we avoid what it is uncomfortable or painful? It's a human instinct. I get it, trust me. But I'm not proud of it. I'm not proud of the fact that I have refused to give blood for the past 3 years out of fear of fainting or fear of discomfort or fear of needles. Looking deeper, I'm not proud of the fact that I have avoided conversations about Jesus because of fear of failing, fear of awkwardness, or fear of making someone uncomfortable.

Jesus did what was NOT comfortable when He shed ALL of His blood on a cross for my sin. And though my act of discomfort last Thursday was trivial and small, the red cross taped on my arm was a reminder of the sacrifice Jesus made for us. And an encouragement to go beyond my comfort zone- whether it is giving blood that could save a life or sharing Truth that could save a soul.

Whether you have been hesitating to go give blood or talk about Jesus to a friend or neighbor- I encourage you to step out of your comfort zone for the sake of the Kingdom.


No comments:

Post a Comment