Thursday, May 23, 2013

In plenty and in want


We are inundated these days with blogs, books, and documentaries about GMO's, organic choices, plant-based diets and more.

One of my heart's desires is to feed my family well. This may not mean that we eat what tastes good- but we eat what is good for our bodies. Spencer has slowly become accustomed to the taste of whole grains, and hopefully as I introduce more new foods that transition will continue. I try to limit our consumption of foods from a box or package, as the chemicals and unknown contents are not something I want us eating!

During this mini summer break, I've been perusing whole-food/natural/organic blogs. It's been fun, and I'm getting excited to have our own kitchen and start on a fresh summer menu full of greens and produce.

But here's where I've been getting stuck. I know in my heart and mind that striving for good health and a balanced diet is a Godly mission. He called us to care for our bodies, because they are a temple of the Lord! (1 Corinthians 6:19). In giving them proper nutrition, exercise, and rest, we are energizing and preparing them for years of productive service to the Kingdom, amen! But I also know that children die every day from malnutrition. And I know that there are millions of people who would walk miles just for a package of sodium-laden, preservative-filled, sugar-packed food. And they would think it to be a feast.

Within this world of human beings, there are many in plenty and in want. Luke 12:48 says that, '...to whom much has been given, much will be demanded. And from whom much has been entrusted, much more will be asked." Those of us who live in plenty make choices everyday as we swipe our cards and hand over dollar bills (myself included!).

In talking with a friend about this issue last night she reminded me that poverty is not a form of righteousness. Nor is it a punishment from God. Granted, these 2 statements could open up a can of worms. But that is not my intention.

Proverbs 31 says that a noble wife will work with determination to feed her family (v. 15). Only 5 verses later, it says that the noble wife extends her hands to the needy. Is this contradictory? I think not.

And so this is where I choose to rest. In the knowledge that the Lord provided the plants of the field and the animals of the flock for our consumption- as strength for our bodies. He has instructed us to put into our bodies what is wholesome and good, that they might be strengthened for the work of the kingdom. He has given us freedom of choice- we may eat as we choose, but not without consequence. And we are to give to the poor.

So as a wife and Lord willing, a mother someday, I want to nourish my family with food that is wholesome and healthy. But not only that, I want to feed their hearts with grace and truth that the health of their souls might match that of their body. It is only by the grace of God that we know what good health is, and that we live in a place where we even have a choice of what to eat.

This truth-searching on food has given me a new and beautiful perspective that I hope to maintain in my own heart and pass on to the hearts of my family- that every meal is a blessing from the Lord, and that we ought to hold it with open hands and an open door that others might partake...

---hospitality post coming soon!---

No comments:

Post a Comment