Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Do you wash your produce??

Because you REALLY SHOULD.

Trust me.

I'd never even researched salt or vinegar baths for produce until we moved. New place, new habits, maybe?

Anyways.

This was my second week of giving my produce a nice, cold vinegar bath. And I was so disgusted by what was left in my sink afterwards that I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture. Next time I will, though. Just in case you're not convinced after this post.

Here's how ya' do it.

Go to the grocery store and pick out all of your fresh produce!

Bring it home, and stick it in the sink.

Fill the sink with cold water and add a couple splashes of vinegar (depending on how much produce you  have).


Then, let it sit for about an hour. 

(This is my produce sitting in the sink. There's broccoli and green beans under the rest)

After it's sat, you'll notice a film on the top of the water and lots of dirt on the bottom. Dirt is inevitable and won't kill ya', but the chemical film really scares me.

Rinse off all the produce in cool water and let it dry. I just let mine sit in our dish drying rack for awhile. If you don't have time to let it air dry, you can pat it with a paper towel. I prep the lettuce right away and keep it in our salad spinner for the week so it's ready for meals.

And now...all of the dirt and gunk is down the drain and your produce is ready to be eaten!!



1 comment: