Monday, January 6, 2014

Musings of a Seminary Wife: "If I were the perfect wife..."

If I were the perfect wife...

... I would walk in the door from work every day with a smile on my face and encouraging words on my lips.

... I would never send Spencer out to the store on a last-minute ingredient run because I forgot something on my grocery list. Because, oh that's right, I'm not perfect.

... I would affirm and respect him in my actions and my words, not criticize or embarrass him.

... I would pray for him and his ministry daily.

... I would communicate my thoughts and emotions with him instead of making passive comments or choosing to be silent.

And the list could go on.

But you know what? I'm not perfect. Perfection is the thing that my earthly heart wants most. To be a perfect wife, daughter, worker, and friend. To be the perfect Christian, musician, writer, and photographer. I don't want anyone to find fault in me, my character, my words, or my actions. I shut down at criticism and conflict because it means that I did something wrong. But all of this imperfection that I speak of? It's called sin. It's called brokenness. It's called living in a fallen world, being human.

And yet it's made all the more painful when our eyes can see Christ's pure perfection. Our God is holy and blameless, and He calls us to be like Him. In my moments of blatant sinfulness and imperfection it is tempting to fall into despair. I see how perfect Christ is and how stinkin' far I fall short of that. But I choose to see hope. I choose to be thankful for these embarrassing moments of selfishness because they point me to Christ and they point me to grace. For every time that I am reminded of my sin, I am reminded of how much bigger the cross is.

If I were the perfect wife, I wouldn't be writing this post. But I'm not perfect- I am a woman with real sin, real selfishness, real imperfections. But I serve a very real God who offers grace big enough to cover me, unconditional love, and hope for new creation in a painless eternity. Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment